It By Alexa Chung

02:03:00

Hello Everyone!

I feel like every blog post is beginning with an apology, however I am so sorry for not posting regularly! Schoolwork near the end of term begins piling up, so I needed to take a little break! BUT, I'm on holidays now, so expect a lot more blogging! Maybe I should write some blog posts and schedule them so I don't forget?

Last year for my birthday, one of my closest friends bought me a book I had been longing for:

"It By Alexa Chung"
It has been a couple of months but finally I got around to reading it last weekend and I have finally decided to review it!

 
In her first book, international fashion trend-setter Alexa Chung shares her personal experiences, inspirations, thoughts and fashion advice. A collection of Alexa's deepest and most vivacious thoughts, she speaks of her early style inspirations (like her grandpa and The Spice Girls), discusses how to take a good selfie, reflects on heartbreak and talks about figures she loves, like Anna Karina and Winona Ryder in Heathers, all interspersed with vintage-styled photographs and doodles. 

My Thoughts:

The problem is, you are either going to absolutely ADORE or absolutely DESPISE this book. There is no in-between.

For me, I am a fan! It is refreshingly down-to-earth, and satisfies my Alexa Chung obsession. I love her eclectic sense of style and charming wit, which is obviously reflected throughout the book. I can imagine Alexa sitting on the floor of her apartment in New York City, (most likely dressed in something equally indie and fashionable), writing and doodling. I, honestly, wasn't expecting this book to be an intellectual read, I mean, Alexa said that this book was merely a side project where she would just babble on about various things - but that is what is so charming about It. All it is, is a collection of notes, drawings and photos, yet I just loved the voice that was speaking to me through the pages - I really felt like I was having a conversation with Alexa Chung herself.


I have never been very into fashion. I love dressing nicely, and I wear clothing that is more classic than what most 15 year old girls wear, however, I have always heavily relied on my mum's opinion. To be honest, I don't think I've ever truly picked out a piece of clothing myself, not because I haven't been allowed to, but simply because I never know where to begin. But in this book, Alexa outlines all her fashion inspirations, as well as her 'must-haves' and what goes well with what. THIS BOOK IS MY SAVIOUR. Now, I've discovered icons like Anna Karina, Annie Hall, Jane Birkin, and more! As stupid as this sounds, her advice spurred me to go out and choose my own clothing and make my style MY OWN.  She talks about everything fashion - make up, clothing, haircut issues and even how to get dressed in the morning.
Okay, this book isn't just about fashion. She talks about experiences we have all been through, or are going to go through at least once. There is this section of the book where she talks about heartbreak and I read this part everyday, because it has changed the way I think about having a broken heart. 

"There are upsides to despair. You can wear a blanket instead of a coat and your friends won't judge you. You can smoke indoors because nobody will have the heart to tell an inconsolable girl that a smoking ban has been in place for eight years. And you find out that people are very nice and they care about you em if the person you care about most doesn't. When somebody makes you laugh when you're sad, thats the most enjoyable laugh you'll ever experience. On a positive day during an outdoor and legal cigarette break I told a friend I was fine and trotted out the line 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. To which she replied, deadpan, 'thats not true, that which doesn't kill you makes you wanna die."
The nicest thing I heard during the worst time in my life was this: 'you have to suffer heartbreak so you know what to tell your daughter when she has her heart broken.' I'm Alexa Chung and one day I'm going to have a daughter and I'm going to know what to say to her. I'm going to say:
'Nobody goes through life without having their heart broken and one day you'll wake up and it will be okay.'"

Isn't that just so beautiful? Alexa isn't just philosophical, she also talks about partying, the do's and don't's of karaoke and most importantly - she teaches us all the proper way to take a selfie. Come on, now THAT is something we all must learn!

Alexa Chung's, It, taught me about love, life and fashion, by taking me on a journey of her life with her wit, humour and feisty attitude.

RATING: 5/5 Stars!
Leave your thoughts on this book / my review / Alexa Chung / fashion / selfies / or anything in between in the comments section!
-Tyra xx


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Here:

The owner of this blog is not compensated to give their opinion on the literature, websites, and/or various other topics that are reviewed. The views that are expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. The owner of this blog does not own any of the pictures posted on here, unless stated otherwise.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *